Monday, December 08, 2008

The Truth About You: A Review


I’ll be reviewing here The Truth About You by Marcus Buckingham. I first came across this online and read the bio and was immediately drawn in. He comes across as a very practical thinker who is very application oriented. As a young professional I assumed this book was a perfect fit for me.


For my review I’ll break things down into three sections; The good, the bad and the comments.


The strong points of this book lie with Markus himself. He is an incredible communicator. I know this because included in the book is a very useful DVD of him speaking. His demeanor and style immediately capture his listener allowing him to effectively communicate his very applicable ideas. The book is an easy read as it reads just like he speaks. Once you watch the included DVD you can hear him speaking as you read.


The other major strong point of the book is the application. The main exercise involves carrying a provided notepad around for two weeks noting every situation that makes you feel a specific way. I highly recommend this as I found it very useful. It allows for the book to have the full affect Markus intended.


My only drawback to the book is its depth. I would like Markus to take his reader to the next level. The Truth About You is a very good, quick read. Thus, as I spend time thinking through what I read I can’t help but think what he could have accomplished with another well written 100 pages.


Conclusion: I highly recommend this book. It is very much, well worth the two hours it will take you to read it and the two weeks it will take to carry around the notepad. After reading I can quickly identify 3 very personal strengths and 3 weaknesses. This will prove to be very useful information for a variety of situations one comes to in life.


Well written. Very useful. A bit on the surface, but highly recommended.








Preview the book: http://www.thomasnelson.com/consumer/widget.asp?sku=1400202264

No comments: